Palace 0-3 City | Jesus 'disappears' Iheanacho again

FA Cup By: Linus Onyeze | 28/01/2017

Manchester City beat Crystal Palace to progress to the fifth round of the FA Cup on Saturday.

Raheem Sterling, Leroy Sane and Yaya Toure scored for Manchester City as they defeated Crystal Palace 3-0 at Selhurst Park on Saturday to progress to the next round of the FA Cup.

Palace showed much resilience early on, but caved in eventually when Sterling scored the opener five minutes to the break, before Sane made  with a goal in the second half in a game that saw Gabriel Jesus get his full debut for the club. Toure then make qualification certain with a strike in stoppage time to drive City to the fifth round of the competition.

Read also: FA Cup | Iheanacho dropped plus 5 other things we learnt

First Half

Both Palace and City went into this one needing a win, not just because it would guarantee passage to the fifth round, but also because they have both struggled in the Premier League.

But as expected, it was Guardiolaa’s charges who seized the initiative and nothing less would have been expected given their stellar cast of starting 11, which also included Gabriel Jesus.

However, it must have looked all too familiar for Guardiola as despite the huge chunk of possession, they were struggling to create real chances as Palace remained resolute, even if they themselves weren’t creating much by way of chances either.

But then, just when you would think it wouldn’t happen, the chances began coming for City. It must be said though, with the amount of possession they were having, that was inevitable, even though not much of them were on target.

With time apparently running out, Sterling breached the Palace defence to give City the lead, and they would go into the break with the lead.

Second Half

City returned from the break still dominating the game, restricting their opponents to very few chances, with Sterling and Sane looking particularly lively for the Citizens.

But all that pressing and possession weren’t resulting into many chances for City, much like it was in the first period and Palace on their part, weren’t exactly throwing much weight around, so there was very little or no pressure on the City defence.

The game dragged on till the 71st minute, when David Silva provided a smart pass to Sane, and the youngster wasted no time in converting to double City’s advantage and all but seal the game.

And as full time approached, six minutes was added for stoppage time, and three minutes into the six, Toure scored and that was it for both sides, as City progressed and Palace were left to rue another bad day at the office.