Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and chief negotiator Matt Judge have sprung into action after seeing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side beaten 3-1 by Crystal Palace.

The Red Devils suffered a humbling defeat, conceding three goals in their Premier League opener for the first time since 1995.

That prompted Judge to contact intermediaries in the aftermath of the game to step up their transfer business.

And they are now looking to immediately address defensive concerns having previously been happy to wait until next summer to strengthen the back four, as reported by the Manchester Evening News.

It is claimed they have had a ‘shift’ in their thinking and are pushing for a new left-back and potentially a new centre-back before the October 5 transfer deadline.

Signing Jadon Sancho or an alternative right winger remains a priority but there has been acknowledgment that their need for defensive reinforcements is also pressing.

Porto left-back Alex Telles looks the most likely addition to add competition for Luke Shaw and Brandon Williams, with the Brazilian keen on a move and his contract up next summer.

That would allow right-footed Williams to revert to right-back, with the club open to offers for Diogo Dalot.

Dayot Upamecano is also on United’s radar as a centre-back, having been a long-time target.

Efforts to land Telles are more advanced, whilst Dynamo Kiev’s Vitaliy Mykolenko is another target at left-back.

Luke Shaw admitted after United’s defeat to Palace that they need more additions to achieve their ambitions this season as they return to the Champions League.

“As I said, we have a very good group, but personally I think we need more players to strengthen the squad,” Shaw said.

“It can give us a boost. When you look around at how other teams are strengthening their teams, then we must also do it to keep up with the others.”

Manchester United are looking to plot their path back to the top. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has already brought in Donny van de Beek but Jadon Sancho remains Manchester United’s number one target.

That followed Solskjaer’s declaration that the side remain “short” as they look to close on Manchester City and Liverpool at the top of the Premier League table.

The opening day defeat to Palace, in which Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof both struggled, looks to have made up the mind of the United top brass, particular with both the closure of the transfer window and the Champions League group stages fast approaching.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments